Bobbin holder plus very fine thread - ghost thread, spiderweb or similar
A short length of thread to pull the whip finish through
UV cure resin (or 2-3 coats of varnish if time permits)
1. Fold a short loop in the end of the line between finger and thumb and make a few turns of thread to initially hold the loop.
2. Trim off the excess tag of line to approximately 5mm. It helps if you cut at an oblique angle so the step down is more gradual than the sudden step created by cutting off square.
3. Continue to wrap the thread to build up a compact whipping.
4. Once you are happy with the number of thread wraps, catch in a short looped piece of tying thread (normally the same thread you are already using). This will be used to pull the tag end of the tying thread back under the whippings to finish off.
5. Cut the bobbin holder free and let it drop (don't let go of the whipping thread!). Poke the tag end through the thread loop. Pull that loop back though, which drags the tag back under the previous turns of thread. Trim off the waste.
6. Apply a tiny drop of UV cure resin and using a fine dubbing needle, ensure it is evenly and thinly spread around the full surface of the whipping.
7. A UV torch can now be used to set the resin in seconds.
Attach either a leader for dry fly or an indicator for nymph fishing to the whipped loop.
This video is 1 of 94 casting tutorials explaining everything from basic set ups to master level casts
How to hold a fly rod Circles 8's & straights Remove all slack Plane of the Cast Triangle Method Stance Overhead Cast Stop & Drop Retrieving the Line High Back Cast Breaking The Wrist Shooting the line Loop Shape Slipping the Line Stroke Length The Forward Delivery The Shelf Drift Drift Versus Breaking the Wrist Creep Backslash Forwardslash Speed Ramp Body Movement
Intro to the Double Haul Tackle for the Double Haul Single Haul Double Haul Double Haul Fast Track Cast Trajectory Late Haul Hauling Grip Double Haul for Accuracy Line Trays Offset Alignment Guides Overhang
Intro to Spey Casting Switch Cast 45 Degree Single Spey Backhanded Cast 90 Degree Single Spey 90 Degree Snake Roll 45 Degree Snake Roll 90 Degree Double Spey The Running Mouse The Silent Spey 45 Degree Double Spey 45 Degree Snap T 90 Degree Snap T 45 Degree Circle Spey 90 Degree Circle Spey Body Movement Spey Cast Hauling Beating Obstructions Spey