- Volition 10' #2
Use Straight 'n' Soft tapered leaders. They are the only leaders on the market that don't coil. They aren't shiny and they lay dead straight. They are a dull matt grey colour at the butt section and clear at the front.
Typical dry fly setup
- Zero Foam 10'6" #0
- Jeremy Lucas #0 Float
- No tool nail knot leader to fly line or whip a loop
- 9' 6X tapered leader
- Tie tippet onto leaders with a 2 turn water knot
- 2' 0.10mm tippet with sz 22 dry flies
Typical French leader setup
9' total leader length consisting of;
- 5' 0.12mm Hybrid
- 3 turn water knots
- 2' down to dropper
- 6" dropper
- 2' down to point
- Top dropper sz 18 partridge and orange spider
- Middle dropper sz 16 cdc hairs ear
- Point fly sz 16 black spider
Use Hybrid. Designed for World competitors, it's fluorocarbon coated mono that doesn't get weaker when wet. Wet knot strength is the variable competitors look for.
- Having used french leaders up until now I know that they are great to use and have no issues with using them rather than the Sunray line. what the Sunray line offers for me is a lot more in terms of versatility, I can easily cast with this line far easier than with a french leader when I switch tactics and nymph in other styles plus it casts a dry fly very well indeed, for me when I go out now I wont take any other lines or reels with me because my Sunray line will cover whichever tactic I need it to.
The line itself is of course low diameter and as such makes minimal disturbance on the water when using it as a dry fly line, I set mine up with a 2ft section of amnesia sunset in red and yellow with a loop one end to loop onto the fly line and a tippet ring the other end to attach my fluorocarbon tippet which I vary depending on the depth. Today I only used a single nymph and for only a very short time but first impressions were positive, yes I could have used a french leader but for me the line looks as if it will last me longer and has no memory that I've observed thus far, feel is rather like using braid in terms of the feedback it gives, yes its expensive in comparison to the french leader but I'm happy with it."